Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Sooooo, excited for this summer block buster season, so many movies I want to see. Welcome back everyone for another edition of Phil Goes to the Movies. Today, I am reviewing one of my favorite superheroes of all time, Spider-Man. Now, did the sequel make me want jump for joy, or did it make me want to hang myself with web shooters? Lets find out as we swing into this review:


The Amazing Spider-Man 2- Ok, I was one of those people that were pissed off when I saw the trailer for this film because they did show waaaay too much. Even though, I practically saw the movie for free, thanks to the jackass editor of trailer I went to see it anyway. Now, its hard to really review this movie without giving too much away, so I will do the best I can not to ruin it for my readers. Before, I dive in, people have been asking me, who do i prefer as Spider-Man, Toby McGuire or Andrew Garfield? Ok, real quick, I like both actors and their betrayals of the character. I do enjoy Andrew Garfield more, I guess because the writing for the character is just better. I believe thats the fairest way to decide. Because, if Toby's version wasn't written so EMO, it would have been a harder choice between the two. Okay, I got that out of the way, back to the review.

The plot continues a little bit in the future, where Peter and Gwen are graduated high school, and time seems to be moving along as they as continue their romance. Peter is seeing Gwen's father more and more guilt stricken from the promise Peter made to the dying man to stay away from Gwen Stacy. This causes a rift in their relationship as it being tested constantly in the film. At the same time, dealing with other issues in Peter Parker's life such as family and returning friends. Plus, finding out more about his parents.

The villains, Jamie Foxx is a talented actor, so it was no surprise to me that he would play a great part as the murderous, unstable Electro. I loved the way he looked and he moved around, with that freaky theme song he had playing every time he was on screen. When he use his powers it was visually stimulating to say the least. Dane DeHaan, played a very different Harry Osborn, where in the comics Harry was always shown as a meek character, and this version portrayed him as a ruthless business man-getting what he wants... SPOILER, Rhino is in the movie the last 5 minutes of the movie, so no big loss there, not sure why they said there was 3 villains in this movie where it felt more like 1.5 villains.

I had some issues with the movie, but they were small nothing to really deter me. One that stands out in my mind the most, is the scene, where Gwen Stacy insists on helping Peter defeat Electro. She states like 2 to 3 times only she knows how to get the system back online. When she gets to the room, theres a plastic cover, with big red letters on it saying,"MASTER RESET." Really? Spider-Man couldn't have figured that out? Was there a great amount of training to learn how to pull a freaking lever?

Final Verdict- 8/10, I enjoyed watching Spider-Man swing through the city, the fight scenes were eye candy to watch, and I really liked the people chosen for their roles.


Go see this film yes, its the movie is long, but what big block buster isn't in the 2 hour plus mark anymore? Well thats it for me for now, many more reviews on their way... This is Phil Goes to the Movies, so you don't have too!

No comments:

Post a Comment