Friday, June 24, 2016

The Shallows

Hey, everyone, last time I did the kiddie underwater adventure, "Finding Dory", and now I am doing the adult underwater adventure, in the form of an intense thriller. Is this the modern day "Jaws", or was it another flop like that movie "Open Water." Lets find out:





The Shallows- Oh, the very thought of being eaten alive sends chills down my spine, I don't know about you readers. Not to mention being out of my element, like the open waters. Swimming is tough enough, if you don't do it regularly, and then to have something the size of a Buick trying to make you it's lunch. God knows, shark week on the Discovery Channel definitely added a lot to my fear of sea water. Then of course, Steven Spielberg destroyed me as a child with his mechanical puppet shark. Plus, the music from that film seems to creep inside my mind the second I plunge into sea water....even lakes, yeah, my phobia is that bad!


Plot- Nancy, played by Blake Lively, is on vacation with a friend in Mexico. Nancy is heading to a hidden beach, where her mother used to surf when she was pregnant with our main character, so Nancy is wanting to go there to be closer to her mom. Thinking about her mother, who died from cancer, she enters the water to surf, and it is true paradise. Until she stumbles upon a whale corpse, and she starts to head back to shore. She is attacked by a great white shark, and she swims to a small patch of land. From here is woman vs nature with her will to survive.


The movie does a really great job with character development in the first 10 minutes. You learn everything about Nancy, and why she's here at the beach, her being a medical student, and her dealing with her mother's death. The tension is elevated, to an eleven, the second she enters the waters. Each stroke of her hand through the water you think this is where the shark strikes. The anticipation is nerve wrecking, and you really feel for this character.

Final Verdict- 6.5/10, it was a good movie, but not worth the price of a theater. This is one of those great Netflix kinda movies, where everyone talks about at the office around the water dispenser.

From here on I am only going to review the films I want to see until "Suicide Squad" comes out, because movies are expensive, and there are like two more I want to see. That is it for now, this is Phil Goes to the Movies, so you don't have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment