Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Turtles in the half shell! TURTLE POWER! Oh, man this blockbuster season has had some big movies come out very early than usual. Already, we have had 3 big budget superhero films, and now this movie is the fourth. Well, did this movie shine outside the shadows, or tonight, do I dine on turtle soup? Lets dive in shall we:




Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows- Oh, man. When I was younger TMNT was all the rage! Ninja turtles were everywhere! Now, 26 years later, I get to watch them again on the big screen. You have no idea how much that hurt to type out those numbers...sigh, aging! Anyway, these four reptiles are definitely the reason for my inability to never say no to pizza. I am amazed something titled so ridiculous has stood against the test of time, and is still being enjoyed by all ages.

Plot- The story takes place directly after the first film, with Shredder, played by Brian Tee, being transported to a maximum security prison. The remaining foot clan races to rescue their bound leader, and they are successful. Now free, Shredder begins his new plans of world domination with the help of a scientist named Baxter Stockman, played by Tyler Perry. Shredder ups the ante by creating some mutants, of his own, to help battle the turtles, a warthog named, Bebop, played by Gary Anthony Williams and a rhino named Rocksteady, played by WWE wrestler, Shaemus. The turtles struggle to defeat Shredder's plans at the same time come together as a team.

I really enjoy this film over the first film. It was campy like the old 90's cartoon, but it got serious and gritty like the comic books. I found myself laughing out loud a few times from the dynamics of the brothers. This time, they really focused on the turtles, and their relationships of a family growing together. The uniqueness of each turtle's personality really shines here, and it works in so many ways. I was glad the human characters were more in the background. Unlike last time, where it was, "yeah, we have turtles, but look how hot Megan Fox is..." The cast of villains really helped engage me, and it felt like it was DONE RIGHT! The turtles I grew up with were on the big screen, and I felt like a kid again!

Final Verdict- 8.7/10- highly recommend for all ages, and worth seeing in theaters!


Next movie on my hit list, is a movie about a little mmorpg game, that at one time, had over 12 million subscribers. This is Phil Goes to the Movies, so you don't have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment